Have you ever noticed tiny, thin specks floating in your visual path on moving your eyeballs? However, these specks dart away as soon as you concentrate on them. These thin specks might appear black or grey in color or transparent. They appear as cobweb or strings and are termed as eye floaters.
What Causes Eye Floaters
The cause behind eye floaters in most of the case is advancing age and happens due to the changes in vitreous which are jelly-like substance inside the eyes that becomes liquid. The microscopic fibers present within the vitreous clumps and form a tiny shadow on the retina and appear as eye floaters.
Inflamed eyes, a torn retina, eye tumors, specific medication and eye medical conditions may also cause eye floaters.
Factors that increase the risk of eye floaters are:
- Age above 50
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Eye Inflammation
- Eye trauma
- Complications after cataract surgery.
Eye Floater Symptoms
The symptoms of eye floaters are:
- Tiny shapes such as rings, dots, flashes of light, clouds or fibrous strands in your visual path that appear as knobby or dark specks, transparent strings of floating material
- Spots that move with the movement of the eyeball and quickly darts away from the visual field as you try to concentrate on them.
- These spots are mostly noticed when looking through plain bright background for example white wall or blue sky.
- Small strings and shapes eventually drift out of visual line.
If you experience a sudden increase in eye floaters, you should consult an ophthalmologist. If eye floaters are accompanied with loss of peripheral vision, or you experience light flashes, it requires immediate attention as these conditions may be associated with severe eye disorders such as the torn retina, detached retina or bleeding in your vitreous.
However, rarely eye floaters are severe enough to require treatment. Begin eye floaters do not need medical attention. If they are annoying, move your eyes, look up and down, and you will feel better.
If there are so many specks in your optical path blocking your vision, vitrectomy is suggested. Here vitreous is removed and replaced with a salt solution.
There are home remedies to treat eye floaters. We have compiled them in this article. Have a look.
Home Remedies For Eye Floaters
1. Amla Juice
Amla or Indian gooseberry is rich in vitamin C. It has antioxidant properties and can repair the damaged eye tissues. It improves the all over vision.
What To Do
- Extract fresh Amla juice.
- Mix a tablespoon of Amla juice to a glass of water.
- Add little honey
- Consume it every day.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of A Stye
It has been reported that many victims of eye floaters have found relief after eating white Onion no doubt is rich in antioxidants and repairs tissue damage. It is rich in quercetin which is a potent antioxidant.
What To Do
- Take an onion
- Slice it
- Chew onion slices at regular intervals.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Blepharitis
3. Carrot juice
Since childhood, we are said to eat carrots to improve eyesight. Carrots are rich in vitamin A. Regular intake of carrot provides our eye with all the necessary nutrients to maintain the eye health. Also, it helps to get rid of eye floaters.
What To Do
Consume carrot as a salad or extract its juice and drink on a regular basis.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Hyperpigmentation
4. Apple cider vinegar
Due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties apple cider vinegar is considered a natural home remedy for eye floaters. Apple cider vinegar p[revents eye from oxidative stress and reduces the inflammation of the retinal tissues.
What to Do
- Take half cup of water
- Mix a teaspoon apple cider vinegar to it
- Soak two cotton ball with this solution
- Keep the soaked cotton balls on your closed eyes for 30 minutes.
- Do this two times daily.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Freckles
5. Food is rich in omega-3 fatty acids
One of the best home treatment for eye floaters is diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acid reduces eye tissue inflammation and repairs macular degeneration along with treating other eye diseases.
What To Do
Add food rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts, flaxseeds, olive oil etc. in your diet schedule. You may also take 1000 mg omega-3 supplements once daily after consulting your physician.
You can also check out:- How to get rid of Pink Eyes
6. Green tea
If you have eye floaters better restrict the intake of caffeine but green tea is It is rich in antioxidants. It strengthens the retinal tissues and improves your eyesight.
What To Do
Steep a bag of green tea in a cup of steaming water for 15 minutes. Have green tea 2-3 times in a day.
You can also check out:- High Altitude Sickness
7. Castor Oil
Castor oil is a practical and natural way to treat eye infections, improve eyesight and get rid of eye floaters. It is rich in ricinoleic acid that alleviates inflammation. Antioxidants present in castor oil are that are very healthy for your eyes.
What To Do
- Take pure and organic castor oil
- With the help of a dropper put 1-2 drops in your eyes at bedtime.
- Close your eyes and go off to sleep
- Wash your eyes next morning.
- You will notice a change in a few days
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Milia
Natural cure for eye floaters also includes improving your diet and adding foods that enhance your eyesight in your eating schedule. Foods that enhance vision and are best to treat eye floaters are:
- Green leafy vegetables such as kale and spinach.
- Nuts such as almonds, pistachios, and walnuts
- Yellow and orange fruits and vegetables such as carrots, tomato, pumpkin peach etc.
- Shellfish like oyster
- Citrus fruits such as kiwis, oranges and
- Fishes like sardines, tuna, and salmon.
Practice exercises such as deep breathing, moving the eye up and down and blinking. Massaging the acupressure points may also help.
How To Prevent Eye Floaters
To prevent eye floaters follow preventive measures discussed below:
- Avoid eye straining
- Give your eyes a regular break from mobile and laptop screens.
- Keep stress at bay. Practice yoga and meditation.
- Drink lots of water.
- Wear sunglasses when going out in the sun.
- Take proper sleep
We hope you have received all the basic information on how to treat eye floaters naturally. If you have any inquiry add to the comment section below.