If you are suffering from a miserable earache and looking for ways to get rid of it, you are on the right page. An earache can be very annoying as the irritating pain distracts you and accounts for sleepless nights. Also in some cases, earache is present along with decreased hearing or buzzing noise and thus, it becomes a big matter of concern.
An earache is more common in children, but there are many reasons because of which even adults may suffer from it. It may be caused due to an assortment of diseases or may be referred pain of sinusitis or mastoiditis. Let us have a look at the common causes of an earache.
Common causes of an earache:
- Infection in outer ear or inner ear
- Earwax blockage
- Barotrauma- The discomfort caused in the ear due to pressure changes. This is a common experience for many people while travelling in aeroplanes.
- A sore throat
- Clogged water or any foreign body in the ear
- Injury- This can be caused due to improper use of the cotton swabs in the ear.
- Neurological disorders.
If an earache is mild then do not worry. There are several herbal ingredients available in your kitchen shelf that are very effective in soothing an earache. Below in this article, we have compiled top 7 home remedies for an earache that is effective, easily available and totally safe.
7 Effective Home Remedies For An Earache
Earache many times are very intense and heart-wrenching. To provide instant relief garlic is considered the foremost home remedy. Alliin and allinase are two compounds present in garlic that acts as a natural painkiller. Also, garlic is anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial thus it very effectively fights infection.
How to use
- Take one or two pods of garlic and peel it.
- Take mustard oil in a small pan.
- Now add the pods of garlic to it.
- Heat it till the pods get brown.
- Put the pan on the flame.
- Strain the oil and discard the garlic cloves.
- Let the oil cool down up to the temperature that is bearable.
- With the help of a sterilized dropper, pour a few drops of the oil in the affected ear.
- With the help of a cotton ball plug your ear so that oil will not come out.
- Repeat this for a few days. If there is any kind of infection it will be cured and you will find relief in an earache in a few days.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Earlobe Cyst
This yellow-orange coloured flower is also often recommended for an earache. It is believed to be anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. Try the recipe for ear ache given below where calendula a critical ingredient.
DIY earache remedy
- Mullein leaves- Three-fourth cup
- Calendula flowers- One-fourth cup
- Minced garlic- 2 cloves
- Olive oil- one and a half cup
- Mix all the ingredients in a pot and stir them.
- Heat them on low flame for an hour.
- Turn off the heat
- Leave it overnight
- Strain the oil with the help of a cheesecloth.
- Pour the strained oil in a small airtight jar.
- Store the preparation in the refrigerator.
- Before using it, take a small amount of the preparation and heat it.
- Remember the oil should be heated only up to a bearable temperature.
- With the help of a sterilized dropper pour a few drops of the oil in both the ears.
- Repeat this
You can also check out:- Home Remedies To Unclog Your Ears
In most of the cases of pain, hot compress works like wonder. Same is the case with an earache. Hot compress promotes the circulation of the blood and thus eases the pain.
What to do
- Take a clean cotton pouch.
- Fill it with heated rice grains.
- Check whether the temperature is bearable or not.
- Press the pouch over the ear for 10 minutes.
You can also check out:- Ear pain Home Remedies
Cold compress reduces inflammation and thus is found helpful in reducing earache. You may use an ice pack or a pack of frozen peas for this purpose. But remember, do not directly apply a cold compress to the skin or it may cause chilblains. Wrap the ice pack in cheesecloth before using it.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Blackheads From Ears
Onion is easily available in everyone’s kitchen. Since ages, onion has been used as a traditional home remedy for an earache. The red fumes of the onion that make us cry; it also has magical medicinal properties. Onion alleviates pain, reduces inflammation and eliminates the infection.
Just extract onion juice and pour a few drops of it in your ears. You can also try hot compress with onion to ease the discomfort and pain.
How to do:
- Take an onion and cut into slices.
- Put onion slices in the microwave.
- Wrap the warm onion in a cotton cloth.
- Check if the temperature is bearable.
- Place the cloth against the affected ear for 10 minutes.
- Repeat this several times in a day.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Tinnitus
This superb herb is considered very sacred because of its property to make the environment free from harmful micro-organisms. Basil leaves are also very effective in reducing pain and inflammation. Crush basil leaves to extract its juice to treat an ear infection. Pour a few drops of the juice in the infected ear. Repeat this for 5 to 7 days, and you will witness the relief.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Headache
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil or melaleuca oil is an excellent antiviral, antibacterial and antiseptic. But like other essential oil, it should be diluted before being used. To ease an earache better dilute it with olive oil or almond oil. Below, is a DIY home remedy for earache where tea tree oil is an important ingredient.
DIY tea tree remedy for an earache
- Take 3 drops of tea tree oil, 1 teaspoon vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Slightly warm the mixture
- With the help of a dropper pour a few drops of the liquid in your ear.
- Repeat this 3 times in a day for 2 days.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies for Stomach Ache
We hope you find this article helpful. In most of the cases, home remedies for an earache are enough to provide quick relief. If you have an ear infection, natural remedies will ease the pain. It will make your condition bearable until the time your immune system fights off the infection.
But the effectiveness of the home remedies also depends on the cause of an earache. In the case of referred pain due to the blocked nose, steam inhalation proves to be effective. If you have a cavity, then you need to consult a dentist. If you are travelling through air plain, do keep a cotton ball in your ear or chew something to prevent the discomfort caused due to the pressure changes.
Earache is severe or is accompanied by fever, fluid oozing from the ear or decreased hearing, consult your doctor immediately.