Inflamed and swollen eyelids is a common occurrence. Our eyelashes have hair follicles and oil glands. When oil glands are clogged due to some infection, it causes inflammation of the eyelids. Medically this condition is termed as blepharitis. Blepharitis is a painful and embarrassing eye condition. If left untreated it may lead to frequent bouts of eyelid inflammation, conjunctivitis and dry eyes.
What Is Blepharitis?
Blepharitis may be defined as an eye condition where eyelid margins around the eyelash base are inflamed and itchy. It is of two types:
- Anterior blepharitis- Here the inflammation occurs on outer eyelids.
- Posterior blepharitis- Here the inner eyelids are
What Are The Causes Of Blepharitis?
Bacterial infection and clogged oil glands in the eyelids are the leading causes of eyelid inflammation. Other reasons are as follows:
- Skin issues such as psoriasis and rosacea.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Eyebrow or scalp dandruff.
- Allergies to certain cosmetic products, contact lens solution or contact lense.
- Eyelash mites
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Stye
What Are The Symptoms Of Eyelid Inflammation?
Swelling, redness sticky, crusty and itchy eyelids are a characteristic symptom of blepharitis. Other symptoms include:
- Red and watery eyes
- Blurred vision
- Sensitivity to light
- The flaky skin around the eyelids
- Dry eyes
In general, blepharitis is a long-term or chronic condition, and most of its sufferer experience repeated episodes of eyelid inflammation separated by no symptom period. You can easily control the symptoms and prevent its reoccurrence through home remedies for blepharitis and be practising proper eyelid hygiene.
Natural Home Remedies For Blepharitis
Warm compress– Application of warm compress to swollen eyelids is one of the most effective blepharitis treatment. It removes the crystal deposits, accumulated discharge and pus on the eyelids and also loosens oil glands blockage.
What to do:
- Fill a small bowl with hot water
- Take a clean flannel cloth and soak it in hot water
- Squeeze out the excess of water
- Place warm flannel cloth to the affected eyelid for 10 minutes.
- Repeat the same process on the second eyelid if effect, but take a fresh, clean cloth and also clean the bowl and change water.
- Repeat this daily for 3-4 times for about 7-14 days.
Regular application of warm compress will not only relieve swelling and inflammation but will also help you to get rid of blepharitis fast.
*Use hot but not boiling water for a hot compress. Make sure the temperature is tolerable.
You can also check out:- Scabs Scalp Treatment
Aloe vera– Aloe vera is antifungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory. It alleviates pain, itchiness and swelling. Aloe vera has soothing and cooling properties. It is a natural moisturiser and is popularly used to treat various skin issues, skin irritation and sunburn. We can also use aloe vera to cure blepharitis fast.
What to do:
- Take a freshly cut leaf of aloe vera
- Extract aloe vera gel
- Clean your eyes thoroughly with a baby shampoo
- Apply the fresh aloe vera gel to the affected eyelid with the help of a clean and sterile cotton bud.
- After 15 minutes gently remove the gel with the help of a clean washcloth soaked in lukewarm water.
- Repeat this three times in a day for a week.
Castor oil– Castor oil moisturises eyelids and regulates the functioning of Meibomian glands. Cator oil is antifungal and antibacterial. It fights infection and eases burning, irritation, redness and pain.
*For blepharitis home treatment use 100 percent pure, sterile and hexane free castor oil. Make sure no extra ingredients are added.
What to do
- Soak a cotton ball with castor oil.
- Squeeze out extra oil
- Apply the cotton ball to the closed eyelid.
- Repeat this once every day before going to sleep for 2-3 days.
You can also check out:- Rosacea Natural Treatment
Indian Lilac– Indian lilac leaves have antibacterial and antifungal properties. They are useful in treating dandruff on eyelashes and scalp. You will get rid of blepharitis when dandruff is treated. Also, you will find relief in eye itching and eye inflammation.
What to do:
- Take a handful of Indian Lilac Leaves
- Boil the leaves in 2 glasses of water
- Cool and strain the solution
- Soak a clean cotton ball with this solution and apply on the affected eyelid.
- Repeat this 3-4 times in a day for 1-2 weeks.
- Also, wash your scalp and hair with this solution to get rid of scalp dandruff.
Tea tree oil– The antibacterial property of tea tree oil adds it to the list of blepharitis natural cures. It also kills Demodex mites.
What to do:
- Take 2-3 drops of tea tree oil
- Dilute tea tree oil with one tablespoon of carrier oil such as coconut oil or castor oil.
- Apply the diluted oil to the affected eyelids with the help of a sterile cotton ball
- After 2 minutes wash it off with cold water.
- Repeat this two time in a day to reduce inflammation keep your eyes moisturised until the infection clears.
You can also check out:- Herbal Treatment For Psoriasis
Manuka honey- Hydrogen oxide present in manuka honey fights infection and acts as a potent antibacterial. Honey is vicious and thick and helps to retain moisture.
What to do:
- Take potent manuka honey
- With the help of a clean q-tip apply manuka honey to your eyelids.
- Discard the q-tip after use.
- After 20 minutes wash it off
- Repeat this two-time in a day for a week to see positive results.
Treating blepharitis: Few tips on prevention
- Consume foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids 1-4 times in a week. Foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids are walnut, flaxseeds, salmon, olive oil, mackerel, salmon, herring and lake trout.
- Avoid sharing makeup. Use good quality makeup. It is better if you avoid makeup until eyelid inflammation subsides.
- Never pop an eyelid stye or cyst. The fluid released may spread the infection.
- Always remove your contact lenses before going to bed. Before putting lenses clean them with the lens solution.
- To prevent infection and eyelid inflammation make sure to clean your eyes before going to bed and also in the morning.
- Massage your eyelids every day before sleeping. For this take a drop of pure virgin coconut oil and apply to your eyelids. Gently massage eyelids with ring finger for 5 minutes. Regular massage prevents the clogging of oil glands and also promotes proper functioning of oil glands.
- If you have dandruff, use anti-dandruff natural hair-masks. Prevent dandruff from falling and infecting your eyelids.
You can also check out:- Sebaceous Hyperplasia Removal
Dear readers, as you can see that we have six effective and safe natural treatments for blepharitis. Give them a try. If eyelid inflammation does not improve in a week or two consult your ophthalmologist.