Tiny little ants are usually harmless. They don’t bite you unless disturbed. But as Summers or rainy season approach you can see them marching towards your house. They make their nest and infest your house. Soon they are everywhere, especially in your kitchen spoiling your foods. The sting of a few ants such as fire ants may cause pain and allergic reactions. And if Carpenter ants have infested your house then they may cause damage to building materials. Also, ants may damage the garden plants.
Obviously, you can’t be a silent observer and see your belongings being destroyed by these little trespassers. You need to take action to expel them out of your house. Many of you may use harsh insect repellents to drive the ants out of your house. But these chemicals also harm our environment and us.
What else can you do?
Why not use home remedies to get rid of ants that are provided below to ward off ants from your house.
14 Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Ants
1. Vinegar- Vinegar is a very common kitchen ingredient that is used for cooking. It is formed when acetic acid bacteria ferment the ethanol. It’s mild acidic property, and strong smell can be used to keep ants at bay.
Mix vinegar and water in equal amount and pour this solution into a spray bottle. Spray at the entry points, anthills, countertops, and where ever you see ants. The strong smell of the vinegar will make the ants forget their trail and they will lose their direction. Repeat this every day for a few days until ants completely abandon your house.
Note:- You can also use apple cider vinegar in the same way to get rid of ants.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Head Lice
2. Diatomaceous Earth– The fossilised remains of the marine phytoplanktons forms white coloured Diatomaceous Earth. It is not at all dangerous for small children or pets, but you can kill ants with them. This powder sticks to the exoskeleton of the ants and dries them out. It cuts the exoskeleton of the ants and kills them. Diatomaceous earth is easily available in the market, and you can also buy them online. Sprinkle diatomaceous earth on an ant’s nest and at the entry points for a few days, and soon you will get rid of ants.
3. Lemon water-Lemon water is an effective home remedy to drive away ants naturally. Mix lemon juice with water and pour it in a spray bottle. Like vinegar, spray it to the entry points, anthills and where ever you see ants and see the results.
You can also check out:- How to Kill Hornets
4. Cayenne pepper– In ant defense, you can also use cayenne pepper. Ants hate it. They also hate black pepper so you can use both cayenne pepper or black pepper to drive the ants out of your house. Make a wall of pepper around food items or other household and prevent ants from accessing them.
5. Cinnamon– The strong smell of cinnamon is unbearable by the ants, and they prefer to stay away. Mix half teaspoon of cinnamon powder to a half glass of water. Pour the solution in a spray bottle and spray at the point of entry and countertops. It will compel the ants to leave your house.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Possums
6. Peppermint essential oil– Being a natural insecticide peppermint essential oil can be used to get rid of ants. The strong smell of peppermint essential oil interferes with the ability of the ants to smell and reach to the foods. Also, they forget their trails and gets lost. Add 8-10 drops of peppermint essential oil in a cup of water and spray where ever you see ants. You may also mop floors and countertops with this solution.
7. Dish soap or dish detergents– The chemicals present in the dish soaps and dish detergents breaks the exoskeleton of the ants. They make the ants dehydrate and kill them. Mix dish soap or dish detergent in a glass of water and spray on the ant’s path.
You can also check out:- 10 Ways To Kills Moths Naturally
8. Coffee grounds- Coffee is not just energy booster, but also keeps ants away. This property is owed to the strong smell of the coffee that is hated by the ants. Sprinkle coffee around the foods and household to prevent ants from accessing them.
9. White chalks- White chalks are used to write and blackboard. It is made up of porous sedimentary rock. It is carbonated form of limestone that is composed of calcite. Calcite is calcium carbonate. It is formed under deep marine water. Thus, chalk is a source of quick lime. It can even raise the pH of the soil. They are hated by ants and so if you make a barrier with chalk ants won’t pass it. Try it.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Silverfish Naturally
10. Cornmeal– Cornmeal attract the ants, but after eating they are killed. Sprinkle cornmeals on countertops and near the ant’s nest. And you will find dead bodies of ants.
11. Borax powder- Borax powder is easily available in the market and can be used to get rid of ants. Mix borax powder, sugar, and water to make a thin paste. Apply this paste on a cardboard and keep it near the ant nest. Sugar is loved by the ants, and they will be attracted to the board, but borax will make them dry and kill them.
Note:- Keep borax out of the reach of children and pets as it is toxic.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies To Control Aphids
12. Cucumber peel- This is an old trick to remove ants from your house. Ants dislike the taste of cucumber peel. If the cucumber is bitter, it works best. Peel a cucumber and place the peel wherever you see ants. Keep replacing fresh peels, and in a few days, ants will be gone.
13. Garlic– Again the strong smell of garlic makes the ants lose their path and get lost. Crush a few garlic cloves and disperse them in the way of ants and soon the ants will disappear.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Fleas
14. Dried mint leaves- To expel ants use mint leaves. Its strong smell keeps ants away. Crush dry mint leaves and disperse them in the way of ants. Repeat this for a few days and ants will abandon your house.
The best approach to get rid of ants is to forbid them from invading your house at the first position. So better do not leave foods out uncovered. Wipe the countertops, kitchen, cabinets and floors every day. Dispose of the trash daily. Keep your house clean and keep bathrooms and kitchen dry.
Better keep changing home remedies to get rid of ants, as ants may get immunised with the repetitive exercise of any single remedy. Which one works better for you? Let us know in comments below.