Many people around the globe are prone to chilblains. It causes swelling, pain, rashes, and itching of small blood vessels in the skin. The symptoms may get severe and affect your day to day life activity. Medically this condition is termed as pernio.
Causes Of Chilblains
Chilblains happen when your skin is exposed to sudden temperature changes when you shift to warm environment after being exposed to sudden cold. Due to the sudden temperature difference, the skin blood vessels get damage and the blood beneath the skin leaks. Other factors that contribute to this condition are poor blood circulation, smoking, weak immunity and low body weight.
The typical symptoms of chilblains include:
Pernio may affect any part of the body such as fingers, feet, nose, hand, and ears. However, chilblains on toes are more common.
Not always you need to see a doctor as pernio is not a severe condition. No permanent damage is the caused. However, you need to take some action to prevent severe infection and ease the symptoms. The best you can do is avoid exposure to cold and try home remedies for relief. Below is the list of home remedies to get rid of chilblains. Check it out.
Home Remedies For Chilblains
The compounds present in onion are anti-inflammatory and treats damaged blood vessels. Also, onion is antiseptic and a natural antibiotic. It reduces the chances of secondary infection.
What To Do
- Cut onion into slices and grind them to make a paste.
- Apply the paste to the affected part.
- After 15 minutes rinse it off with cold water.
- Repeat this a few times in a day.
- Cut the onion into slices and rub the slice over the affected part.
- After 15 minutes wipe it off with a warm washcloth.
- Repeat this three times in a week.
You can also check out:- Natural Paronychia Treatment
The nutrients present in potato reduces inflammation, itch and provides relief to the damaged tiny blood vessels in the skin. Potato juice is anti-irritating and soothing and treats the chilblain blisters.
What to do
Extract the juice of potato. To get rid of chilblains apply potato juice a few times in a day.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Leg Cramps
Calendula is one of the best home treatment for chilblains. Its anti-inflammatory properties reduce pain and swelling and fasten healing.
What to do
- To 2 cups of water add a handful of calendula leaves and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes cool the solution and add a one-fourth teaspoon of sea salt.
- Soak the affected area in this solution for 15 minutes.
- Repeat this two times in a day.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Athlete’s Foot
Black peppercorn is a popular chilblains home remedy as it is anti-inflammatory.
What To Do
- Take a teaspoon of black peppercorn powder and add it to a teaspoon of sesame oil.
- Heat the mixture, strain it and when it cools down to bearable temperature massage the affected area with it three times in a day.
Note:- If your skin is cracked avoid this.
You can also check out:- How To Treat Varicose Veins
Aloe vera soothes inflammation and eases pain and discomfort.
What To Do
- Extract the gel of aloe vera and massage affected area gently with aloe vera gel.
- Leave it to dry on its own and then with the help of a wet tissue rinse it off.
- Repeat this two times in a day to get rid of chilblains.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Ingrown Toenail
Garlic instantly eases the symptoms of chilblains such as itchiness and inflammation and promotes healing.
What To Do
- Add garlic to your diet.
- Also, make sure to massage the affected area with garlic oil 3-4 times in a day to encourage blood flow.
You can also check out:- How To Treat Chondromalacia Naturally
Along with the home remedies for chilblains also take the steps mentioned below to get rid of chilblains:
- To bring down the swelling keep your affected area elevated.
- Remain indoors and avoid cold exposure. Give time to your body to adapt to the warm temperature. After your body adjusts to the room temperature massage the affected part gently with sesame oil or mustard. Use organic and raw oil.
- Do not massage with hot oil if the skin is broken or inflamed.
- Do not expose your skin to direct heat after exposure to cold.
- Quit smoking
- To prevent aggravation of chilblains keep your feet warm, Wear thermal insoles.
- To fasten healing include foods rich in vitamin A and vitamin C in your diet. Also, add foods rich in vitamin K and vitamin E in your diet. Some of the foods beneficial in treating chilblains are sesame seeds, spinach, millets, almonds and egg yolk.
To prevent chilblains in future protect your body from cold. In cold weather when you are going out better cover yourself adequately with comfortable, warm clothing. Do not wear damp clothes. Keep your feet, hands, and face warm. If in case you are exposed to cold then rewarm yourself gradually.