Headaches can be quite the, well, headache especially when they surface unexpectedly. A headache is caused by strained eyes, and dehydration caused by air-conditioned environments, to name a few. Before you reach out for an aspirin to deal with your ache, try these home remedies for headaches.
Top 10 Home Remedies For Headaches
Ginger helps in the reduction of inflammation of blood vessels in the head. This provides relief from headaches. To avail the most of this wonder rhizome, opt for these remedies:
- Mix equal parts of ginger and lemon juice. Consume this mixture once or twice a day.
- A paste of a teaspoon of dry ginger powder with two tablespoons of water can also do the trick when applied on the forehead.
- Boil ginger powder or raw ginger in water and inhale the steam.
- Last, but definitely not the least, you can chew on pieces of crystallized ginger candy to do the trick.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Stomach Ache
Before you pop in a pill to get rid of that headache, resort to almonds. These nuts are an excellent way to prevent your headache from driving you nuts! Almonds are a healthy natural remedy which acts as a substitute for aspirin. It acts as a pain reliever due to the presence of salicin. This element has been found in over the counter drugs as well. As soon as you feel the pain set in, you can eat a handful of these wholesome nuts. If, however you suffer from migraines, then you might find that almonds are a trigger food.
3. Fish Oil
Ingestion of fish oil reduces migraines and headache due to the presence of omega-3 fatty acids which help to promote heart health. The ingredients present in fish oil minimizes inflammation, blood clotting, and blood pressure. These actions, in turn, help to reduce the inflammation of blood cells that create stress on your nerves.
For this remedy, you require:
1. A tablespoon of fish oil and
2. A glass of orange juice.
Fish oil capsules are available, so if you opt for them, then follow the dosage on the bottle. When using the actual oil, mix a tablespoon of it into a glass of cold water. Despite the unpleasant aura that a mixture such as this imbibes, it really is a lifesaver!
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of An Earache
4. Stay hydrated
While it might be quite the norm in the workplace to bond with your colleagues over coffee, the dehydrating effects of this one beverage(what?) are one of the main reasons behind headaches. The fact of the matter is that most of us just don’t get enough water which will inevitably relieve headaches and its symptoms. Water is the simplest of all remedies leaving you energized and free of headaches. If you aren’t getting enough water every day, then try incorporating fruits and veggies with a large percentage of water in your diet.
Some of these include:
- Green Pepper
5. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint contains menthol which helps to open up clogged blood vessels that can cause a headache. It comes with additional calming and soothing effects as well. Peppermint oil can be used in the following ways:
- Mix in three drops of peppermint oil into a tablespoon of almond oil, olive oil or plain old water. Use this to massage your temples and forehead with. You can also opt to place crushed peppermint leaves on your forehead.
- A steam treatment can also be made by adding a few drops of peppermint oil into a small pot of boiling water. Inhale this steam for a few minutes.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Heartburn
6. Ice Pack
The cooling effect that ice has helps to reduce the inflammation that causes headaches. It also has a numbing effect on the pain. You can use ice in the following ways:
- Applying an ice pack to the back of your neck gives you relief from migraine headaches.
- A washcloth dipped in ice-cold water can be placed over your forehead for five minutes. Repeat this process several times till you find relief.
- You could also use a bag of the frozen vegetable bag as a cold compress. You are bound to find relief in half an hour or so.
7. Gluten-Free Diet
Gluten sensitive people tend to suffer from headaches due to the presence of gluten in food. Patients who have celiac disease and who suffer from migraine headaches find respite from headaches by giving up on gluten. Try cutting back on gluten completely for about three weeks and then slowly introduce it in your diet. Pay attention to how you feel when more gluten is added to your diet and find a balance.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Joint Pain
8. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne pepper stimulates your body’s circulation which reduces acidity making this one of the most efficient home remedies for headaches. The capsaicin present is good in the treatment of pain and inflammation. It depletes the element that makes us feel pain, Substance P, by stimulating a pain response in another part of the body. When the levels of substance P in your body are low, pain messages are not relayed to the brain. When used topically, cayenne helps to relieve headache symptoms which relax your muscles.
9. Grab a Pencil
Hold a pencil between your teeth as this helps to dissipate tension headaches. The physical act of holding a pencil between your teeth helps to activate you smile muscles, relaxing your jaw in the process. We often clench our teeth in stressful situations which in turn strains the muscles connecting your jaw to the temples resulting in a tension headache. Keep in mind that your jaw is relaxed and the pencil is held lightly between your teeth.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Fever
Rosmarinic acid present in rosemary oil has anti-inflammatory properties which help in the treatment of headaches. Rosemary can be used in the following ways:
- Massage your forehead and temples with a few drops of rosemary oil which have been mixed in a tablespoon of a carrier oil.
- Alternatively, you can also opt for herbal tea by boiling a teaspoon of rosemary leaves with a teaspoon of crushed sage leaves dipped in a cup of water.
Aspirin no more, these home remedies are here to show headaches who’s boss! Over the counter, drugs may temporarily relieve the discomfort, but they do not prevent the recurrence of another one. Give these remedies a shot and you’ll save yourself a whole lot of headaches!