About half of sexually active females at some point in their adulthood are afflicted with cervicitis. It is inflammation of cervix (lower part of the uterus that leads to the vagina). Often this condition remains undiagnosed as it does not display any symptoms. But surprisingly it is one of the most common causes of painful sex. Most of the women today struggle to heal cervicitis. But do you know it can be easily treated naturally?
What Are The Symptoms Of Cervicitis
Often cervicitis is asymptomatic, and signs are apparent only during the gynecological exam. But some women may notice symptoms that include:
- Abnormal vaginal discharge that may be yellow or grey and has an unpleasant odor.
- Burning and pain while urinating
- Spotting between periods
- Pain during intercourse
- Spotting after intercourse
- Heaviness in lower abdomen after sex
- Abdominal pain and lower back pain
*In case of severe cervicitis there may be yellow-green and thick vaginal discharge that resembles pus.
What Causes Cervicitis
It is commonly caused due to sexually transmitted diseases such as:
- Genital herpes
Other causes are:
- Allergy to latex in condoms, spermicides, and douches
- Irritation to diaphragms, pessaries, and tampons.
- Bacterial infections
- Abnormal vaginal flora
- Vaginal birth
- Low estrogen and high progesterone
- Cervical cancer and cancer treatment.
Females who exhibit high-risk sexual behavior are more at risk of developing cervicitis. Such women are those who have sex with multiple partners or have intercourse in a small age.
8-25 females affected by cervicitis are at the risk of recurrence.
It may be acute or chronic. Acute cervicitis is mostly caused by infection and is easily treated with antifungal medications and antibiotics. But you will also need home remedies that address underlying STD to get rid of cervicitis.
Chronic cervicitis is usually non-infectious, and home remedies for cervicitis directly may be helpful or else you may require laser therapy or surgery.
Complications Of Cervicitis
If it is left untreated, it may lead to:
- Pelvic inflammatory disease
- Ectopic pregnancy
- Chronic pelvic pain
We will discuss home treatment for cervicitis in this article. But first of all, a proper diagnosis is critical to rule out STI. If STI is diagnosed, the best treatment will be to treat underlying STI with home remedies.
Top 6 Cervicitis Natural Treatment
- Yoghurt- One of the causes of inflammation of cervix is an imbalance of vaginal flora. You may use vaginal suppositories that contain lactobacilli and is used to address vaginal flora imbalance. But the best natural remedy is yoghurt. Plain yoghurt is rich in probiotics that restores the natural bacteria balance of the vagina and alleviates the symptoms of cervicitis.
What to Do
Apply yoghurt to the affected part with the help of a clean cotton ball a few times in a day.
*Also add yoghurt to your diet.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Bacterial Vaginosis
- Green tea- Green tea is rich in antioxidants. It contains polyphenols that treat the precancerous condition of the cervix and halts the progress to cancer. Green tea is also antiviral and has immunomodulating properties. Its consumption alleviates its symptoms.
What to do
Drink green tea two times in a day.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For UTI [Urinary Tract Infection]
- Wormwood– Wormwood is a medicinal plant and is used in the form of essential oil and extract. It is the best home remedy for cervicitis. It has anti fungal and anti parasitic properties.
What To Do
Add a tablespoon of wormwood essential oil to a cup of water and boil until quantity reduces to half. Strain the solution and mix with one liter boiled water. When the solution cools down clean your vagina with it.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Balanitis Fast
- Vitamin D sources– Vitamin D is excellent for cervicitis treatment. When vitamin D supplement is given to female suffering from cervicitis; inflammation reduces, and there are less discharge and less vaginal problems.
Foods rich in vitamin D are egg and dairy products. Sun exposer for 5 minutes on bare skin three times in a week is also helpful. If required you may take vitamin D supplements after consulting your doctor.
You can also check out:- How To Treat Ureaplasma Infection Naturally
- Herbal Mix remedy For cervicitis- A simple ayurvedic treatment for cervicitis can be prepared with lady’s mantle, marigold flowers, flax seeds and meadowsweet.
What to do
Mix equal part of flax seeds, marigold flowers, meadowsweet and lady’s mantle and add 2-3 teaspoon of this herbal mix to 500ml hot water. Steep for 10 minutes. Leave this herbal tea to cool and then take seize baths with it two times in a day.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Genital Warts
- Cowslip– Cowslip infusion heals cervicitis completely.
What to Do- To 1 liter of water add four tablespoons of cowslip flower and boil for 10 minutes. Cool down the solution. Strain it and wash your vagina with it two times in a day.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Yeast Infection
How To prevent cervicitis
To prevent infections that may lead to cervicitis follow the precautions discussed below:
- Avoid sex with multiple partners
- Use condoms while having sex
- Avoid having sexual intercourse during periods.
- If you do not wish to have a baby use contraceptive methods to prevent pregnancy as abortion disturbs the cervical lining and leads to infection.
- Poor personal hygiene
- Avoid sexual intercourse during the postpartum period and after surgeries of the cervical region such as cesarean section. Wait until complete healing takes place.
- Maintain personal hygiene.
- Wash genital area with warm water before and after sex. Always use lactic acid wash and avoid perfumed soaps.
- Make sure to urinate after intercourse.
- Wear loose cotton underwears
Keep a note of any irritation in the cervical or vaginal area. Never disregard any pain and infection and seek medical help.