If you suffer from a runny nose, sneezing, cough, itchy, red and watery eyes at a particular time every year then you are probably suffering from seasonal allergies.
According to Discovery Health, about 36 million people suffer from seasonal allergies every year. So if you are one among them, then this article is for you. It will provide you with all necessary information about seasonal allergies. We will also introduce you to fantastic potent home remedies for allergies that will provide you with a long-term relief.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of A Stye
What causes seasonal allergies?
The main culprit behind the allergies is pollen and molds. But not everyone is sensitive to pollen grains and molds. However, some individuals are allergic to them. In people with the oversensitive immune system, when the count of pollen goes up and invades their body, histamine is released in excess. This reaction is very strong leaving them with a runny nose, congested chest, cough, watery eyes and sneezing.
Spring is the prime season for seasonal allergies. Spring is the time when plants and trees are blossoming thus the pollen count is at peak during this time. The pollen count remains high during summers. During summers grass allergy is at its boom. During late summers and autumn again, there is an increase in the weed pollen count.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Nausea
What are the symptoms of seasonal allergies?
Symptoms of seasonal allergies include:
- A runny nose
- Nasal congestion
- Itchy eyes
- Puffy eyes
- Red and watery eyes
- Wheezing respiration
- A cough
- A headache
- Irritation in the throat
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Poison Ivy Rash
What are the treatment options for seasonal allergies?
If the seasonal allergy is not controlled or in the case you have asthma, then it may lead to serious life-threatening conditions. Thus, it is very important to treat seasonal allergies in time.
To relieve and suppress the symptoms of seasonal allergies your health care provider may prescribe your antihistamines. But these medicines may cause unwanted side effects such as drowsiness, headache, blurred vision, stomach upset, and irritability.
In some cases, your doctor may prescribe steroid medications. The steroids may result in unwanted weight gain, diabetes, fluid retention, contract, muscle weakening, and osteoporosis.
For successful treatment of allergies, it is better to bring changes in your lifestyle, diet and try natural and safe home remedy for allergies. All these approaches will not only alleviate the symptoms as well as also boost your immunity.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Salivary Gland Infection
What are the home remedies for allergies?
- A Neti pot- Neti pot is used to flush out the allergens from the nasal cavity. This thins the mucus and relieves the congestion. Neti pot looks like a small teapot and is easily available in the market.
How does Neti pot work?
Take boiled and distilled water. Add a teaspoon of sea salt in it. Now mix properly and pour the solution into the Neti pot. With the help of Neti pot irrigate one of your nostrils. Tilt your head so that saline solution is drained out of the other nostril. Repeat this with another nostril.
If you do not have Neti pot, you may also use sinus rinse bottle for the same purpose. Make sure the water is sterilized.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Blepharitis
- Turmeric– Turmeric is a yellow spice that contains curcumin. Curcumin acts as a natural decongestant and thus, reduce the symptoms of allergy.
How to take?
Take a glass of warm water and add a teaspoon of honey and half teaspoons of turmeric to it. Mix well and drink the concoction. Better start drinking this a month before the allergy season.
You can also check out:- How To Stop Diarrhea
- Peppermint tea- Peppermint tea also acts as a natural decongestant. It possesses antibacterial, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Drinking peppermint tea can inhibit the allergic reactions.
How to take
Steep a tablespoon of dry peppermint powder in a cup of boiling water. After 15 minutes, strain it and drink the solution.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Bronchitis
- Garlic- Garlic is a well-known home remedy for allergy. It is known to boost the immune system and act as natural anti-histamine.
How to take
Add garlic to your cooking a month before the allergy season. You may also eat 2-3 garlic cloves every day to ease the allergy symptoms.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Stomach Ache
- Lemon– Being a natural antihistamine and rich source of vitamin C, lemon has proven its effectiveness to keep allergies at bay.
How to take
Drink a glass of lime juice daily in the morning during the allergy season.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Post Nasal Drip
- Apple cider vinegar– To keep the doctor away during the allergy season start taking apple cider vinegar a month before the commencement of the season. Apple cider vinegar boosts immunity and also eases allergy symptoms.
How to take
Take a glass of warm water and add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to it. Also, add a teaspoon of honey. Drink this concoction every day a month before the start of allergy season and during the season.
You can also check out:- How To Stop An Earache Fast
Lifestyle strategies to combat seasonal allergies
To prevent exposure to the allergens during allergy season you need to take a few preventive measures:
- Keep doors and windows of your cars and houses closed.
- Use filter masks when you are outdoors.
- Bath two times, in the morning, as well as before going to bed.
- Keep your house clean. Better remove carpets as they attract pollens.
- Wash your clothes and bed covers daily.
- The fur of pets attracts pollens so better wipe them daily.
- Keep yourself hydrated.
You can also check out:- Best Treatment For Croup
Diet to combat seasonal allergies
It has been found that intake of certain foods worsens the allergies whereas certain foods provide relief from inflammatory conditions. Your diet should focus on removing foods that can damage the good bacteria in your that guts and are difficult to digest. Include foods that are anti-inflammatory and boosts immunity.
Food to be excluded from the diet are as follows:
- Conventional dairy
- Chocolates and caffeine
- Processed foods
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Stuffy Nose
The foods you should include in your diet are:
- Bone Broth
- Grass-fed meats
- Wild-caught fish
- Hot and spicy foods
- Foods rich in vitamin C such as Guava, Green leafy vegetables, broccoli and Indian gooseberry.
All these foods ease the respiratory symptoms, Thins the mucus, boosts immunity and reduce inflammation.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Headache
Supplements that keep allergy at bay
- Fish oil supplements
- 1000 mg quercetin per day
- 1 teaspoon of spirulina per day
- 300-500 mg sting nettle per day
- 500 mg butterbur per day
You can also check out:- Easy Home Remedies For Cough
These supplements act as a natural antihistamine and thus, provide relief from the symptoms of seasonal allergy
Seasonal allergies are annoying and can make your condition, miserable. But with the help of the above-mentioned home remedies for allergies, you can prevent yourself from being dragged down. Try more than one remedy to know which one works best for you. And yes, do not forget to share your experience with us.