Home Remedies for BV:- Bacterial vaginosis is a form of vaginitis which is essentially an inflammation of the vagina. This condition arises when the amount of bad bacteria present in the vagina outnumbers the good bacteria. The good bacteria comprises of lactobacilli which are harmless as such while the bad bacteria includes anaerobes that belongs to a category called lactobacilli, which results in bacterial vaginosis.
The disease in itself is not sexually transmitted but having the condition means that your chances of contracting an STD are upped. Bacterial Vaginosis while pregnant can result in premature and underweight babies. While all this might seem a bit much, there’s good news too! The condition is completely treatable and there are a number of home remedies that you can look to in order to treat the condition.
What Causes Bacterial Vaginosis
When the anaerobe bacteria in the vagina multiply, they disrupt the environment in which lactobacilli dominates. Certain activities up the chances of developing this condition such as:
- Unprotected intercourse
- Intercourse with new or multiple partners.
- Vaginal douching
- The Excess use of antibiotics
Bacterial Vaginosis Symptoms
Common symptoms include:
- The Vaginal discharge which is thin, grey or white.
- Fish like odor which intensifies during menstruation or intercourse
- Irritation or burning while urinating.
- Pain or light bleeding during intercourse
How To Treat Bacterial Vaginosis Naturally At Home
We have some home remedies for bacterial vaginosis that are bound to help you rid yourself of the condition.
Yogurt happens to be rich in Lactobacillus acidophilus which is the good bacteria we spoke of earlier. It helps to treat infections in the vagina by balancing out the war between the good and bad bacteria. There are a few ways in which you can use yogurt.
The first one aims at internally protecting against bacterial vaginosis through the consumption of 8 ounces of yogurt each day. This builds up the good bacteria in your body.
The second one includes an external application with the help of a tampon. Soak a tampon in yogurt for about ten minutes. Insert this and leave it for about two hours.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Genital Warts
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is acidic in nature which is why it can be used to increase the acidity levels of the vagina. This essentially makes it difficult for the bad bacteria to survive, hence promoting the growth of the good ones.
For this remedy,
- Add a couple of cups of apple cider vinegar to your bath.
- Immerse yourself in it for about half an hour
- Gently pat the vaginal area dry.
- Do this once a day until the condition gets better.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has antifungal compounds as well as natural antibacterial agents. These help to kill the germs that cause bacterial vaginosis. It also helps to combat the unpleasant smell that comes with the condition.
Two ways to incorporate tea tree oil include,
- Adding a few drops of it to warm water. Use the solution to rinse your vagina. Repeat this process twice every day for roughly four weeks or so.
- The Another option you could try out is to soak in a bath with three drops of tea tree oil and three cups of white vinegar. Do this for half an hour every alternate day for roughly two months to treat bacterial vaginosis.
You can also check out:- Jock Itch Natural Treatment
Fenugreek is used often to strengthen the immune system which is why it can help to restore the normal pH levels of your vagina. It happens to be one of the best natural home remedies for bacterial vaginosis.
There are several ways to make the most of fenugreek seeds including the following:
- Mix a teaspoon of fenugreek powder into a cup of yogurt and consume this twice a day.
- You could also add a teaspoon of fenugreek seeds to a cup of water. Allow this solution to steep for about five minutes. Post that, strain the solution and add honey to taste. Consume this three times daily to get rid of vaginal odor
Milk makes its way to this list because of its an excellent natural cure for bacterial vaginosis. It not just helps to keep the condition at bay but also strengthens the immune system in the process.
- You could dip a tampon into chilled milk, insert it into your vagina. Keep the tampon in for a couple of hours before removing it.
- Repeat this process one every day till the condition no longer persists.
- You could also add a teaspoon of turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk. Consume this once a day until the symptoms die out.
You can also check out:- How To Get Rid Of Genital Herpes
Garlic, being a natural antibiotic helps treat bacterial vaginosis instantaneously. It also has antifungal properties which help keep the bad bacteria in check.
- Crush three or four garlic cloves and apply this to the affected areas. Leave it on for about twenty minutes before rinsing it off with lukewarm water. Follow this up once a day for a couple of months.
- Alternatively, you can opt for is to wrap a garlic clove in gauze and put it in the vagina. Leave it on for thirty minutes, not more than that as it can cause soreness. Use this treatment once every day for several days.
- You could also eat garlic in raw or cooked form every day.
You can also check out:-
When to visit a doctor
It takes roughly three days to up to a week to treat bacterial vaginosis. During this period, attempt these home remedies in order to get rid of the symptoms immediately. There are certain times when it’s important to speak with your doctor in order to ensure there are no complications. This includes:
- If you have a fever alongside the discharge
- If you have had infections before, but the discharge is different or new.
You can also check out:- Home Remedies For Yeast Infection
So this was the basic rundown of everything you need to know about bacterial vaginosis and how to get rid of bacterial vaginosis fast. With these home remedies, you are bound to be able to get rid of your condition without having to resort to antibiotics or over the counter drugs. Be sure to try out these remedies and leave us your comments below.